It’s almost July and we’re still in a pandemic. IS EVERYONE HAVING FUN YET? I decided to share some (hopefully) helpful tips for surviving the rest of this shit show…I mean, 2020.
- Eat lots of snacks – Snacks are one of the best parts of life. So eat lots of snacks and enjoy them.
- Pet all the animals – If you have animals at home you need to go pet them. Right now. I’ll wait. *waits* Seriously, one of the most comforting things you can do during stressful times is to play with/snuggle/pet your animals. They’re great at keeping you company, making you laugh, and listening to you, even if they have no idea what you’re talking about.
- Do what makes you happy – Even if you’re working from home or taking care of your family, you should take some time to do something for you, too. Watch a dumb tv show, work on a project, play video games, bake cookies, etc. Doing things you enjoy will keep you from feeling so miserable when you’re cooped up inside your house.
- Try not to kill the people you live with – Easier said than done. Trust me, I know. If everyone in your home is driving you insane, take a walk, do some meditation, or find some other way to “check out” for a while. Bickering with everyone non-stop isn’t healthy for anyone and it’s only going to make you feel worse.
- Take care of your mental health – Check in with yourself. How are you feeling? If you are someone who struggles with mental health issues regularly this might be a difficult time for you. Even if you don’t have mental health issues normally, losing your job, not being able to socialize and see other people, and the fear of getting sick might be taking a toll on you. On top of all that, there are some very heartbreaking things happening in the world. It’s understandable that some people might not be handling things particularly well right now. I will be 100% honest with you guys and tell you that I recently started talking to a therapist again because I am definitely not okay lately. If you feel yourself slipping into a bad place, try to figure out what it is that you need. Therapy and medication are the answer for some people. Others might just need someone to vent to from time to time. Or perhaps you need to find some new coping mechanisms. Whatever it is, take time for yourself and your mental health. And remember, you are never truly alone.
- Basic hygiene – I’m not suggesting that anyone gets up and puts real clothing or a full face of makeup on every day. (I pretty much live in yoga pants/sweat pants these days, except when I need to go into the office.) Showering, brushing your teeth, and putting on clean clothes can make you feel pretty good and help you feel like you have some normalcy. Plus, nobody in your house really wants to smell your dirty socks from across the room.
- Eat real food – Lots of snacks and foods that make you happy are a good idea, but it’s also a good idea to remember to get your fruits and veggies, too. Ice cream is amazing and all, but you’ll probably feel like crap if you eat nothing but ice cream for a week. Try to balance it out.
- Go outside – Taking walks and getting outside is good for your physical and mental well-being, so try to get outside and move around a bit, even if it’s only for a short period of time. Just because there’s a pandemic doesn’t mean you need to turn into a vampire.
- Don’t beat yourself up – I think it’s safe to say that most of us aren’t thriving right now. And that’s okay. Do the best you can and don’t beat yourself up when you don’t feel productive enough or haven’t cooked in a few days. This is a stressful time and nobody expects you to be perfect right now. Be nice to yourself.
- Stay safe and wear your mask – No further explanation needed.
I hope you’re all hanging in there. ❤