Hi there. Are you still with me? After yesterday’s erratic post I wouldn’t blame some of you if you stopped following me. 😛
Let’s get back to books today, shall we? I’ve seen some posts recently on other’s bookish habits and it’s made me think about what my own habits are in terms of books and reading. Most of them are pretty normal…I think? Maybe not, maybe they are a little quirky. I have no idea. Give them a read and tell me what you think.
- I don’t always finish books – I used to be one of those people that just had to finish a book. Part of it was due to the fact that I was afraid I’d be missing out on something if I stopped reading it. The other part was the feeling of being a “failure” for giving up. I’ve forced my way through plenty of bad books in the past, all for nothing. Over the last couple of years I’ve finally given myself permission to stop reading a book if I’m not feeling it. There are too many good books out there waiting to be read.
- I go to the bookstore regularly just to look at the books – I spend the majority of my lunch breaks at Barnes & Noble, which is conveniently located right down the street from my office. This is my happy place. Barnes & Noble is at the top of my list for places that make me really fucking happy. (It’s right up there with Disney World.) Most of the time I just browse while I’m there. Even if I know I’m not going to buy anything I just like to look at the books. It gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling of contentment. It’s like being among friends. (Actually, it’s probably better because the books are quieter.)
- I read the blurbs on the back cover a dozen times before deciding whether to buy a book or not – I can literally pick up the same book a dozen times, read the blurb on the back, and stick it back on the shelf before deciding whether or not I am going to get it. It can be something that I already know I want to read, but I’m still going to do this anyway. Sometimes this occurs during the same visit to the bookstore, other times I’ll spread it out over a couple of visits.
- I prefer that my books match – If I have a hardcover version of a book, the other books in the series also have to be hardcover.
- I carry a book in my purse at ALL times – Even if I know I won’t be reading it (like when I’m at work), it’s still coming with me. Just for emergency purposes.
- I have hangups about integrating my books with someone else’s – Read my recent post for a better explanation.
What are some of your weird (or not-so-weird) bookish habits?